The Software Engineer is responsible for designing and developing high quality software solutions using programming languages required, (Python, JS, and HTML), and in compliance with coding standards and technical designs. The Software Engineer is required to be aware of new and upcoming technologies and how these can be applied to business operations to contribute to the success of the organization.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Design and develop software applications and accompanying test plans that utilized programming skills defined by the particular project (including but not limited to Python, JS, XML, HTML), that meets the deadlines set out by the Innovation and Solutions Manager and Project Manager.
2. Document and demonstrate solutions by utilizing proper design techniques (flowcharts, case studies, state transition diagrams, data flow diagrams, weight score models, etc.).
3. Mark tasks as completed using our development management tool Jira and move them to the correct bucket on a daily basis.
4. Provide end of day reports using Jira, on the tasks set out to be done and completed daily.
5. Work with the User Interface/User Experience (UI/UX) Team to test the software developed, and ensure it meets the requirements set out by the end user. Document the issues to be resolved and submit to the Innovation and Solutions Manager for approval.
6. Ensure that communication is effective and professional with internal and external customers.
7. Assist in improving business operations by conducting systems analysis and recommending changes in policies and procedures and how these changes can be implemented using technology.
8. Collaborate cross-functionally with business users, project managers and other engineers to achieve elegant solutions.
9. Any other duties that may be required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• BSc in Information Technology / Computer Science or 1 year experience in a similar role
• Maintain standards of safety and comply with Company’s Health, Safety & Environment Management System requirements
• Observe all health and safety rules and regulations
• Stop all work if any unsafe conditions exist or unsafe practices are observed
• Report any unsafe conditions or practices to your Manager
• Understand how to perform jobs assigned in accordance with operating procedures and/or work instructions
• Do not undertake any job you do not understand – ask your immediate Supervisor once there is any doubt
• Wear and use all safety equipment required to ensure the safe execution of the specific job
• Participate in mandatory toolbox meetings, safety meetings and training sessions (internal and/or external) as required
• Report all incidents immediately to your Manager
• Cooperate during incident investigations so that the incident causes can be determined, and corrective action taken
• Tag and report all defective tools or equipment immediately
• All staff are to adhere to the guidelines stated in the Policy Manual
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, CHARACTERISTICS:
• Enjoyable to work with - especially with direct team members
• Highly reliable/ trustworthy- your supervisor and co-workers must have confidence that when assigned a task, you will get it done in a timely manner with a high quality of work
• Management of time and tasks – can work on multiple tasks, meet KPIs, reorganize and work on high priority tasks, handover tasks when going on leave. Ability to operate under pressure, achieve goals and meet deadlines
• Technical Analysis of requests - quickly process and understand requests, identify where external assistance is needed, document concisely and clearly what is required, plan how to respond. Ability to understand business processes and translate them into development tasks will be considered an asset
• Problem analysis and Problem solving - suggest recommended actions rather than just ask for help, develop innovative ideas, pre-emptively identify issues with existing procedures and implement solutions
• Quality Assurance – Detail oriented, quickly picks up errors.
• Teamwork and Emotional Intelligence - work well with others in the department, work well with other departments, build mutual trust and respect, develop strong professional relationships with others in the company, display emotional intelligence when dealing with others
• MS Office - Intermediate to Advance in the use of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams
• Physical demand - Primarily Office / Work from home
• May attend virtual or in-person conferences, workshops, meetings, etc.
• Will be required to be on site visits from time to time (shore base, ports, vessels, etc.)