Agriculture Field Research Specialist
The purpose of this role is to support our client in its operations of exporting high-quality Caribbean agricultural produce to international markets. The role will involve screening farms/farmers to determine whether they meet the criteria of our farmer database, assisting with the procurement of agricultural produce, coordinating shipments from farm to ports, ensuring quality standards are maintained along the value chain, and formally documenting processes and learnings. The role would also involve interacting with clients to confirm product specifications and requirements. Any other duties that may be applicable.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Conduct farm field visits to determine suitability of potential vendors. Required to understand varieties of produce, quantities available, frequency of supplies, prices, etc.
2. Required to negotiate prices and terms with farmers for the supply of produce.
3. Coordinating the transportation/logistics of produce from farm to port ensuring that product quality is maintained
4. Required to liaise with Government and other agencies to acquire permits, certifications, and information as necessary
5. Work with Farmers and other stakeholders to improve the quality of products, improve handling methods and processing practices, and acquire certifications to meet international customer requirements
6. Documentation of processes and learnings in the company’s SOP and other approved formats
7. Research pertaining to other projects under the client's portfolio, for example pertaining to new product development
8. Role will also be required to perform customer relations by liaising with customers to confirm product specifications and requirements
9. Any other duties as require
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• BSc. in Agriculture from an accredited University
• Relevant work experience will be an asset
• Fluency in Spanish will be an asset
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, CHARACTERISTICS:
• Enjoyable to work with - capable of working with various departments and levels of the organization, clients, external stakeholders, and direct team members.
• Highly reliable - your supervisor and co-workers must have confidence that when assigned a task, you will get it done in a timely manner with a high quality of work.
• Management of time and tasks – can work on multiple tasks, meet KPIs, reorganize and work on high priority tasks, handover tasks when going on leave.
• Technical Analysis of requests - quickly process and understand requests, identify where external assistance is needed, document concisely and clearly what is required, plan how to respond.
• Problem solving - suggest recommended actions rather than just ask for help, come up with innovative ideas, pre-emptively identify issues with existing procedures and implement solutions.
• Quality Assurance – Quickly picks up technical errors, typos, issues with sentence construction, gaps in logic, incorrect or missing pricing, whilst reviewing requests, quotes and technical proposals
• Teamwork and Emotional Intelligence - work well with others in the department, work well with other departments, build mutual trust and respect, develop strong professional relationships with others in the company, display emotional intelligence when dealing with others.
• MS Office - Intermediate to Advance in the use of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, SharePoint
• Communication – strong written and oral communication skills
• Physical demand - Primarily Office / Work from home / Field Work
• May attend virtual or in-person conferences, workshops, meetings, etc.
• Will be required to be on-site visits from time to time (farms, shore base, ports, vessels, etc).
• Foreign travel is possible.
August 16th, 2022